Saturday, April 9, 2011

Don't Set Yourself Up For Failure!

I once heard someone say, " I only run when I'm chased by someone or something", and for a long time I adopted that philosophy as my own.  I'm sure there are many of you out there probably have the same feeling, and most of you probably have the same reason.  Most people believe that they can't run, they look at "runners", compare themselves to them, and then set them selves up for failure because they expect to be like "them".  I've always wanted to be a "runner" because they always made running look easy.  I would lace up my shoes, stretch, and set my mind on running 3 miles.  Right there I set myself up for failure because I'm expected to just be able to do something without working at it.  Running takes practice!  I would always start running, and even before I hit 10 minutes I would stop and walk because I felt like my lungs were going to collapse (I know I know I'm a whimp right?).  The best thing to do, and I learned this from a professor, is to keep going*! Everyone has the initial pain and burn in their lungs, but that is because your body hasn't adapted to the stress placed on it, it needs time to adjust to the increase of oxygen your body needs to keep going.  I now have worked my way up to running 2 miles without feeling like I'm going to die!  Keep at it, work at a pace that's good for you, even if you are alternating between walking and running.

*Ask your doctor before starting any kind of exercise program, and if you are feeling severe pain or dizziness stop and call your doctor.  It is important that you understand your limitations.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

  © Bloggertemplates The White Dove by Premium Wordpress Themes | Photography Wordpress Theme 2011