Thursday, May 19, 2011

Kombucha



Kombucha (kom-BOO-cha) has been thought to have been around over 2,000 years, where it was created in Asia during the Tsin Dynasty.  Kombucha is, "a fermented yeast enzyme tea... a probiotic, microbiologicalfood.  It helps regenerate the bowel flora and is excellent for wellbeing". (kombuchacultures.com) Originally, Kombucha was created for people to become immortal, but that's not exactly what it's used for today.  According to Synergy Drinks, the most popular brand of bottled Kombucha in the US, the fermented tea is said to support, "digestion, metabolism, immune system, appetite control, weight control, liver function, body alkalinity, anti-aging, cell integrity, and healthy skin & hair".  I have a fairly sensitive stomach, and when I first tried this I was skeptical, but I love it! I've been drinking GT's Kombucha for about 5 years, and every time I drink a bottle I feel cleansed.  The drink is also great for people like me who have lactose intolerance, I'm able to get probiotics without the side effects of dairy.


I've been drinking Kombucha for a while, but only recently did I come across an article from The New York Times, A Strange Brew May Be a Good Thing, about home fermenting their own Kombucha, and even selling it on Craigslist!  According to the article, many people are against the drink because of toxic substances found in the home brewed editions.  So... I would suggest sticking to a bottled brand like GT's.  Check out the Synergy website for more information: http://www.synergydrinks.com/home.aspx





0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

  © Bloggertemplates The White Dove by Premium Wordpress Themes | Photography Wordpress Theme 2011